It is the policy of Basingstoke and Deane Canoe Club (the Club) that all paddlers, parents, volunteers, coaches and Club officials show respect and understanding for each other and conduct themselves in a way that reflects the principles of the Club. The aim is for all paddlers to improve their performance and have fun in a safe and co-operative environment.
Everyone involved in the Club must abide by the Club rules and policies. The essence of good ethical conduct and practice is summarised below.
- Treat other Club members with respect at all times on and off the water.
- Co-operate with and listen to your coach or Club officials.
- Control tempers and avoid behaviour which may inconvenience or upset others.
- Take good care of all property and facilities belonging to the Club, Club members or hired to the Club.
Club Officials, Coaches and Volunteers
- Follow BCU and Club guidelines and policies.
- Hold the appropriate, up-to-date qualifications and insurance.
- Make sure that all activities are appropriate to the age, ability and experience of those taking part.
- Consider the wellbeing and safety of paddlers before the development of performance.
- Develop an appropriate working relationship with participants, based on mutual respect and understanding.
- Encourage participants to value their individual performance and personal paddling skills development.
- Encourage and guide participants to accept responsibility for their own performance and behaviour.
- Display consistently high standards of behaviour and appearance.
- Promote the positive aspects of the sport and never condone rule violations, rough play or the use of prohibited substances.
- Support your child's involvement and help and encourage them to enjoy the sport.
- Never force your child to take part in sport if they are unwilling.
- Never belittle or punish a child for making mistakes.
- Help your child to recognise improvements in their own and others performance.
- Publicly accept the decisions and discipline of Club coaches and officials.
- Use correct and proper language at all times.
Trip and Events Organisers
Please refer to the Club’s Trips Policy.
Please refer to the Club’s Junior Code of Conduct.