The course will include:
- Safety principles for canoeists and kayakers
- Lifting and carrying a kayak safely on land
- Basic lifesaving skills
- Using a throwline
- Self rescues
- Deep water rescues for canoes and kayaks
- Towing boats and carrying swimmers
- Dealing with an unconscious or trapped paddler
- All-in rescue
The course will comprise two sessions at QMC to develop rescue skills in warm water followed by a day at Colt Hill to practice those skills in the outdoor environment. The Club does have a selection of wetsuits to augment four standard paddling gear for rescue and safety courses. These are available at no extra cost on a first come first served basis.
Pre-requisites: be able to paddle at BCU 2 Star standard (canoe and kayak); minimum age 14 years.
Cost: £35 plus BCU registration fee (£5/10 member/non-member) if you pass.
Dates: 21 & 28 March (pool), TBC (Colt Hill Clubhouse)
For more information or to reserve a place contact Janella Mansell on 01256 780334