The health, safety and welfare of members and other who may be affected by the activities of Basingstoke and Deane Canoe Club (the Club) are of paramount importance to the Club. The Club is committed to complying with the principles of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
Health, safety and welfare are matters that concern all who take responsibility for the Club`s activities: the Directors, the Committee, coaches, organisers of events and those who lead paddling activities. Basingstoke and Deane Canoe Club will undertake regular reviews of policy, prepare risk assessments as necessary, provide adequate information on and supervision of its activities and provide appropriate training to:
- Ensure that this health, safety and welfare policy is pursued throughout the organisation.
- Ensure that all paddling is undertaken with due regard to the health and safety of those partaking, whilst noting that an element of risk is inherent in the sport.
- Take reasonably practicable measures to ensure a safe, healthy and secure environment for all activities that are undertaken.
- Continually review and improve health and safety procedures.
Whilst Committee members and others have specific responsibilities, maintaining a safe, healthy and secure operating environment requires the assistance of all Club members. Basingstoke and Deane Canoe Club expects all members to:
- Co-operate in implementing the health, safety and welfare policy.
- Exercise reasonable care both for their own health and safety and for that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions.
The Directors of Basingstoke and Deane Canoe Club takes an active interest in health, safety and welfare. The Director with overall and final responsibility for health and safety is John Herring. The day-to-day responsibility for ensuring this policy is put into practice is delegated to the Club's Safety Officer, Peter Mansell. This policy is subject to review and revision every three years or if the activityies of the Club change.
A signed and dated copy of this policy can be downloaded by clicking here.